As the bathroom has evolved into a personal, spa-like, oasis, more homeowners are choosing high quality materials for their bathroom countertops. However, it’s also important that these surfaces be durable enough to withstand water, soap, makeup, cleaning products, and the daily abuse from everyone who uses them as a work surface. Uniting all the required elements of a bathroom countertop in a way that makes it a functional and fashionable focal point requires creative planning.
Balance function and form
Unlike in your kitchen, the countertops in your bathroom don’t take as much daily beating and therefore don’t need to be quite as durable as kitchen surfaces. Whereas you can’t use cultured marble in a kitchen because it’s not durable enough, it works wonderfully in a bathroom and enhances the luxury of the space. Bathroom countertops can’t be porous or delicate either. Thankfully, there are a variety of options for bathroom surfaces that fit into any design, style, and budget and this makes it easy to balance function and form.
Some of the most popular materials for bathroom countertops include granite, marble, quartz, and soapstone. There are pros and cons to each type of material, so research carefully before making a final selection.
- Granite – Featured in high-end bathrooms for years, granite now appears in a variety of home styles. It represents a considerable investment, but it’s durable and possesses unparalleled beauty. Granite requires sealing every 6-12 months and careful maintenance.
- Quartz – This material mimics the appearance of granite, marble, or limestone, but has increased resistance to stains and scratches. Quartz bathroom countertops are actually a mixture of at least 90% natural quartz and granite powder with the remaining 10% made up of polyester resins. Sealing isn’t required for quartz and it’s easy to clean.
- Marble – Marble is a beautiful material that gains more character as it ages and acquires a patina effect. However, marble requires sealing and careful cleaning, so it can be a challenging material to keep clean in bathroom countertops.
- Soapstone – While the colors of soapstone come in three main colors of green, black, and gray, it adds a unique look to any bathroom. Soapstone is non-porous and doesn’t require sealing, but it does scratch easier than granite. However, any scratches are easy to rub out with normal sandpaper.
Arch City Granite & Marble, Inc. has all the information, expertise, and materials required for improving your bathroom countertops.