Soapstone Countertops Custom Fabricated and Installed
If you are looking for soapstone for your new kitchen countertop, you can take a look through our stone slabs here at Arch City Granite & Marble in St. Louis. You will find what you are looking for in our inventory. At Arch City Granite we measure, fabricate and install countertops with our team of professional experts. When you want soapstone countertops in St. Louis and the surrounding area, we have what you want. We are your soapstone supplier in St Louis.
You might have heard about soapstone, and have a few questions. Soapstone has a deep natural beauty and will give you a rich texture while staying cool to the touch. In fact, soapstone countertops are resistant to heat and to staining. Soapstone is definitely a product for any high-end kitchen.
There is a reason that soapstone got its name. The surface has a soft, dry soap feeling. It is definitely unique. One of the best things about soapstone is how well it fits in with a variety of kitchen themes. You will find that a soapstone countertop works with a contemporary, modern, traditional, and even farmhouse kitchen styles.
Soapstone isn’t new. It has been used quarried and used thousands for thousands of years. Archaeologists studying ancient civilizations have found that soapstone was used for meal preparation and cooking. It is easy to see why. Soapstone has an intrinsic natural beauty, a subdued elegance, and a unique texture. These features attract its use among modern homeowners.
Where does Soapstone come from?
Like granite and marble, soapstone is quarried from the earth. The difference lies with its availability. Unlike granite and marble which are readily found throughout the world, soapstone is not as common. Because it is limited in supply, soapstone is usually more expensive than entry level granite and marble.
You will find that the soapstone which is used for kitchen countertops is mainly quarried in Brazil, India, and Finland. You will also find a few limited soapstone quarries here in the United States, mainly in Vermont and Philadelphia. The famous Church Hill soapstone is quarried in the Alberene quarry located in Virginia.
How is it different from other natural stones?
Soapstone is a naturally occurring rock, just like granite. The biggest difference with soapstone is that it contains a good amount of talc. If you are into rock climbing or cosmetics, you will find that talc is used in both.
If you want to get real technical, the geological name for soapstone is steatite. Steatite is a metamorphic rock made up of about 50% talc. The talc is what gives slabs of soapstone its signature feel.
Artistic and Architectural varieties of Soapstone
There are two main types of soapstone. You have artistic and you have architectural. Artistic soapstone has a lot more talc, usually over 75%. The high amount of talc makes it super soft and can be used to create sculptures. On the other hand, architectural soapstone has between 50 to 60% talc. It also contains a high percentage of quartz mineral. The quartz adds a level of hardness which makes it suitable for countertops.
Advantages of Soapstone
- Soapstone can take the heat. For your oven, you can set steaming hot pots and pans directly on the surface of your countertop.
- Soapstone is softer than granite, but it is still durable.
- Since soapstone is super dense, you will never have to worry about sealing it. Your soapstone countertop is naturally resistant to stains
- Unlike marble, soapstone is resistant to etching. Acids found in lemons, wine, and fruit juice, make a mess with marble. Soapstone is resistant.
- If your new soapstone countertop gets a few scratches or dings, you can sand them out with regular old sandpaper.
- Soapstone is versatile, and able to fit seamlessly into a variety of kitchen styles.
Disadvantages of Soapstone
- Soapstone is soft, so it can pick up scratches and dents. You can sand them out, or mask them with a coat of mineral oil.
- Soapstone is not for everyone. Homeowners who love the touch and feel of the soapstone do not mind the marginal risk of scratches or nicks.
- You will find that your color selection is limited. Granite might have hundreds of colors and varieties, while soapstone has a handful.
- Since the quarried slabs are smaller, a large kitchen will take a lot more seams than other materials. However, Brazilian soapstone comes in larger slab sizes, so if you want soapstone without the seams there is still a way.
- You will notice that soapstone is going to cost you more than entry level granite or quartz. The price of soapstone is comparable to higher end granite or quartz.
In general soapstone comes in three colors; gray, black, and green. You can have slabs with a lot of gray mixing with the three main colors which results in a muted gray, gray-blue, gray green, or gray-charcoal black. It is also common for you to find veins of white running through the stone or swirls of quartz.
The coloring of your soapstone can change over a long period of time due to atmospheric exposure. If you want to bring out the color of your soapstone you can rub in mineral. Since soapstone is stain resistant, an oil application is purely for pure aesthetic reasons.
Soapstone prices are higher when compared to granite. You can find granite prices from $45 to $75 per square foot. Soapstone will range from $75 to $90 per square foot.
Granite Colors that Look Like Soapstone
If you love the look of soapstone, but you want avoid the potential for scratches, nicks and dents, you can find granite slabs that have the same coloring as soapstone. If you go with a granite countertop that has a honed finish, you can get the look of soapstone without the disadvantages. Take a look at our granite inventory.
If you are uncertain, don’t worry. When you come to Arch City Granite, you will be able to get your questions answered in a stress free environment. We will ask questions to discover which type of countertop meets your lifestyle.
Maintenance of Soapstone Countertops
Unlike other stone surfaces, soapstone requires little maintenance. You will never need to worry about adding that seal coat. Soapstone can easily be cleaned with a bit of mild hand soap and some water. Remember, you can add richness and depth to your soapstone with a little bit of mineral oil, but this is not considered maintenance because it is used for aesthetic purposes.
Why Choose Arch City for your Soapstone Countertops project?
- LOVE my granite from Arch City! We renovated an entire house, so needed granite for the kitchen, two bathrooms and a basement back bar. I was really nervous about making the right choices, since our job was so large and we would be dropping a hefty sum on the granite - really felt pressured to get it right! Samantha was amazing (and fun!) to work with and so helpful in picking everything out. Of course I was comparison shopping at other granite stores too, so the final selection process took some time to work through, but Samantha was patient and super responsive throughout. The craftsmanship of the end product was outstanding, as were the installers. My kitchen truly looks like it came out of a designer magazine!Paula Burton BommaitoHome Owner
- Arch City Granite was very friendly, and professional from start to end. There were many good choices of granite that looked beautiful. Experts at Arch City helped me to pick out the best color for my kitchen. They completed the installation on promised schedule and I am very happy with my kitchen countertops.Sharie MclaffertyHome Owner
- Arch City Granite & Marble has been installing granite and quartz Countertops for my clients over the past 9 years. The custom details involved in cabinetry design require a fitting stone fabricator that pays close attention to detail and is capable of fabricating intricate shapes and custom built-up edges. Arch City Granite's state of the art stone fabricating machines come in handy when creating beautiful countertops. I recommend Arch City Granite & Marble to anyone looking for high quality and top notch service.Brian BurmeisterKitchen and Bath Designer, Marc Christian Fine Cabinetry
- My job is to create esthetically pleasing and functional spaces for my clients' homes taking into consideration their personal style and budget. Arch City's large inventory of over 100 colors of granite, marble and quartz makes the selection process easy and efficient. When the design calls for waterfall edges, mitered edges and other intricate designs, Arch City's attention to detail and excellent craftsmanship ensure a perfect result every time. I use Arch City Granite for all my clients and I recommend them to all of my friends and family.Julie HaloftisOwner/Interior Designer - Relative Design
- The staff at Arch City Granite have an incredible work ethic! I have been partnering with them since 2008 and their service, and quality always met or exceeded my expectations. The majority of my homes have large islands and our clients like the intricate edge details with double laminated 6 cm edges. Arch City Granite delivers exceptional quality with the help of their modern stone cutting machines and their attention to detail. I have no need to look elsewhere, I get the best pricing and quality from Arch City and will use them for every stone or quartz project I have.Wesley ByrneCustom Home Builder, Claymont Development LLC
- Arch City Granite was referred to us by a friend. We even got to take home larger samples of a couple stones that we really liked and compare it with our cabinets. We changed our minds a couple of times with regards to the type of stone that we wanted to be installed as our countertops and they were very understanding in the process. All their staff including the installation technicians were very friendly. We love our new countertops and we would recommend Arch City Granite to everyone.Shalu LamaHome Owner
- We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- We have been in business for 13 years and in that time we have served over 400 homeowners in the St. Louis area
- You can hand select your soapstone color from our inventory of full slabs.
- We do all the measuring, design, fabrication, and installation in-house.
- You get the highest quality countertops with our digital measuring and CNC/Waterjet stone cutting technology.
- Our Low Price Guarantee assures that you get the best stone for your home or project.