It has been quarried for thousands of years. It’s intrinsic natural beauty and subdued elegance have been making believers out of people who live in farmhouses and sleek, contemporary condos for decades. It’s heat-resistant properties make the ideal countertop material.
It is, of course, soapstone.
If you want kitchen countertops that dazzle and distinguish your home from those of your neighbors, you want soapstone countertops. But before you commit to this all-natural soft stone, you need to know a little about its origins and attributes.
Here’s a quick primer on why soapstone countertops are such a great choice for you kitchen:
- Most of the soapstone used for countertops in St. Louis is quarried in Brazil, India and Finland.
- While soapstone countertops are almost always grey, there are those that have a green hue and those that turn black after being treated with mineral oil.
- Soapstone can include sparkling flecks and even veining, which can give it a sense of energy.
- Soapstone is impervious to heat, meaning you can actually set your hot pots, pans and coffee cups directly on your countertop surface.
- Even though soapstone is a soft natural stone, it is durable.
- Soapstone is resistant to etching from acids found in soda, wine, juice and other common ingredients used to make meals in the kitchen.
- Scratches and dings can typically be removed easily by using regular sandpaper.
- One of the things homeowners love about their soapstone countertops is the way it feels. It is a soft stone that has a pleasing, matte feel to it.
- Soapstone stands the test of time. And while it may darken with age, many homeowners find that the deep, rich color of their kitchen countertops adds depth and character to their kitchens.
- Soapstone is versatile, able to fit seamlessly into both classic and contemporary kitchens.
- Contrary to what many believe, soapstone is similar in price to high-end granite countertops. Soapstone ranges in cost from $80 to $85 per square foot.
Yes, soapstone is a venerable countertop material that stands the test of time. If you are interested in learning more about this beautiful, all-natural stone, contact the countertop design and fabrication experts at Arch City Granite & Marble today.
Get Expert Advice
Talk to one of our experts and get answers to your questions without obligation.
St. Louis: 314-426-3100
O’Fallon, MO: 636-329-8400
Get Directions to Our Show Room