Sinks: they are among the most used fixtures in most homes. Like many other home appliances, these must-have fixtures come in varying sizes, shapes, and styles to match different homeowners’ needs.
Although you can choose from a variety of bases, the sink basin itself comes in four popular shapes – oval, square, rectangular, and asymmetrical. Of all these popular choices, two styles stand out – oval and square. Oval sinks are considered simple and more traditional, while square sinks are considered sophisticated and more modern.
Are you undecided on whether to go traditional with the oval sinks or whether to choose the more modern square ones? The first thing to remember is that, like other sink styles, oval sinks and square sinks have their pros and their fair share of cons. So it’s essential to choose one that fits your design space.
In this article, we’ve compared these two popular styles of oval vs. square sinks, highlighting their pros and cons so you can decide which is better suited for your bathroom.
Oval Sinks Pros and Cons
These are types of sinks that are designed with rounded edges and are usually a basin or pedestal style. Although they are often associated with drop-in sinks, oval sinks can be used with any style.
Since oval sinks are more classic, they have a reputation for being a more ‘basic’ sink style. If you’re not a risk-taker, then this is a safer design style for you.
- Due to their simplicity, oval sinks complement countertops of any design and color.
- Their classic design also makes them easy to pair with almost any bathroom style.
- They are space-savers, as many of them are designed to fit into small spaces.
- They have no place for dirt to get trapped, thus are easy to clean.
- They are generally deeper, thus provide a great deal of water depth.
- While some people see oval sinks as classic, others see them as out-of-date.
- Since they aren’t geometric, they are not well-liked in modern design.
- With their smaller sizing, they are not ideal for large bathrooms.
In general, standard oval sinks have an average water depth of 5-8 inches and a diameter of 16-20 inches. They provide a look resembling a classic washbasin and help to bring a more homely feel to a bathroom.
Square Sinks Pros and Cons
These are types of sinks that feature squared corners. They have the same width as the front-to-back measurement, and they don’t necessarily have an equal depth.
The modern shape of square sinks is definitely a unique concept that has become a newer trend in the bathroom industry. Due to the clean lines of square sinks, they are often favored in modern design.
- They are very stylish and guaranteed to provide a sleek design for your bathroom.
- They are generally shorter in height, thus allow for more storage space underneath.
- They take up less space compared to rectangular sinks.
- They provide more flat and wide surfaces than their oval counterparts.
- They hold more water than oval sinks, which is a useful thing for those who want a convenient bathing space for their babies.
- Because they have corners, square sinks are harder to clean than oval sinks.
- Although they take up less space than rectangular sinks, they take up more space compared to the oval and round sinks.
- They don’t have a large water depth compared to other shapes.
If you’re building a modern house or updating your house to achieve a modern, sleek look, then there is no question that square sinks are an ideal choice. Nevertheless, you should remember that square sinks may be stylish and modern now, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they will be ten years.
What Shape of Bathroom Sink is Best?
With different shapes to choose from, many homeowners are highly to ask – which is better between a round and square sink? Well, when it comes down to it, the shape of your sink comes down to personal choice.
So, the best shape of a sink mostly depends a lot on the look you are going after. Oval and round sinks have a more traditional and classic look, while square and rectangular ones have a more modern and sophisticated look.
Another factor that may affect your choice of sink shape is the available space. If you are shopping for a sink for your large bathroom, you should consider a square or, most preferably, a rectangular one. Conversely, if you are shopping for a sink for a much smaller space, then a round or oval-shaped sink is the most ideal.
If you have a bathtub, its shape is another consideration that you have to take into account when choosing the best sink shape. Many interior designers recommend that you choose a design that matches that of your bathtub for a coordinated look.
Can you Replace an Oval Sink with a Square Sink?
Replacing a traditional oval sink with a new square one can instantly modernize your bathroom’s entire look while adding to the overall value of your home. However, the shape of the square sink will most likely not fit into the countertop cutout of an oval sink. As such, you may need to hire a reliable and professional fabricator to help you with your home improvement project.
Hire a Reliable and Professional Fabricator Today!
Although it’s not the most glamorized part of most homes’ bathrooms compared to the bathtubs, sinks are still a vital part of a home. With the correct materials, you can transform even the most modest bath space into a luxurious, modern space. However, before that, you need to hire a reliable and professional fabricator. This is where Arch City Granite & Marble, Inc comes in.
We are a quartz, marble, and granite countertops fabricator and installer conveniently located in St. Louis. Not only do we stock an ample selection of marble and granite slabs for homeowners to choose from, but we also fabricate and install kitchen countertops, bathroom vanity tops, fireplace surrounds, tub deck surrounds, etc.