We’ve all been spending more time in our kitchens lately. They’re often called the heart of the home, a place where family and friends come together. It’s a place that needs to be functional and accessible, but it also is where memories are made. Modern kitchen designs take this into account. Recent trends maximize accessibility and style to create a truly unique and memorable space that is easy to use and fun to be in. Here are the biggest kitchen design trends of 2021.
Pops of Color
Unique color schemes are the backbone of kitchen design trends this year. From two-tone cabinetry to tiled backsplashes, contrasting counters to earthy tones, 2021 kitchens are all about the color. There are lots of ways you can incorporate more color into your kitchen. Once you’ve decided on a color palette, think about how you want to bring that scheme to life in your kitchen. If you’re looking for a more cohesive look, cabinets, backsplash, and countertops are the way to go. Here are some trendy ideas for incorporating bright color into your kitchen.
- Make your kitchen storage stylish with painted cabinets. You’ll find that cabinets take up a lot of surface area in a kitchen, and they can be the best place to add some color and bring your kitchen vision to life.
- Backsplashes are the perfect backdrop for color, texture, or pattern. Unique tiles, natural stone, or bright colors for a backsplash can make a kitchen feel fresh and new.
- Smaller accents make a big difference. Copper light fixtures and handles have had their moment in the spotlight in recent kitchen trends.
You can bring in pops of color in smaller ways too. If you have a white countertop, add brightly-colored barstools. Orchids and other flowering plants can also add contrast and liveliness to a kitchen.
Accessibility and functionality are the two main goals of modern kitchen designs, and they’ve risen to the challenge with a completely new take on kitchen storage. With new shelving designs and pantry organization ideas, you can make the most of your space and keep your kitchen clutter-free. These ideas will take your kitchen storage game to the next level.
- Open shelving is a trend that involves mounted shelves with no case. It’s great for items that you use all the time, like small appliances, and dishes. They also serve as a great decorative focal point in the kitchen- you can add plants, keepsakes, and other personal items to bring your personality into the room. It also makes your kitchen feel more spacious and open. Plus, it’s a great way to show off your kitchen wall, if you choose to paint or tile it.
- Make your kitchen look less cluttered with hidden storage. Through cleverly disguised drawers, cabinets, and pull-out trays, you can find room for all the little things that typically take up space on your countertops.
Sleek and Dark
This design trend is all about rich colors, warm accents, and clever lighting. An important aspect of these kitchens is contrast- dark cabinets with a light countertop or backsplash, for example. Pairing a cream-colored granite counter with mahogany cabinets will make the grain in the natural stone really stand out, and gives it the spotlight in the room. This kind of dark and light contrast adds richness and glamour to a space. If you haven’t worked with darker colors in your design before, start with darker tones of colors you already like – a navy blue or olive green. There are simple ways to incorporate darker colors into your kitchen.
- Paint cabinets a darker color to contrast with light countertops.
- Use a darker wall color to make light cabinets pop.
- Bring in dark-colored barstools.
- Furniture like hutches, breakfast tables, and drink carts are another opportunity to play around with darker colors.
Wood is making a comeback. For some years, wood fell out of style in favor of more modern cabinet styles. But people are coming back to this earthy material. Wood adds warmth and character to any space, and features prominently in modern design trends. Natural elements have become more important in the kitchen, as they add unique texture to a space. Exposed wood finishes, either through cabinets, butcher block countertops, or furniture, is a great way to bring natural elements into your kitchen design. It also contrasts well with natural stone and tile that you may be using for counters or backsplashes.
- Solid wood dining tables and breakfast tables, or chairs with visible wood grain finishes are a great option to bring the material into your kitchen.
- If you have open shelving in your kitchen, that’s the perfect place to expose more natural wood. It adds a rustic charm to a kitchen.
- Statement pieces like wooden mixing bowls, storage bins, or planters can incorporate the material in more subtle ways in your design.
Countertops are one of the most important part of a kitchen design. Not only must they be functional and durable, they also are a prominent feature of the kitchen’s visual appeal. Decorative countertops have made the list for top kitchen trends this year. With the right material choice, a countertop can tie your entire kitchen together and bring your vision to life. This trend focuses on counters that make a statement, either through color contrast, material, or pattern.
- Granite and marble have always reigned supreme in the world of kitchen countertops. Natural stone adds unique texture to a kitchen and pairs well with modern cabinets and appliances. They also are durable and easy to maintain.
- Wood block countertops add a rustic edge to kitchens. They contrast well with painted cabinets and add warmth.
- Waterfall countertops add drama and a modern look to a kitchen.
If you are in the market for new countertops in the St. Louis area, explore our gallery. We have a diverse selection of granite and marble so you can find exactly which tone and texture you want for your space. We can guide you through the process of selecting and installing the perfect countertops for your home.